If you’re on the fence about whether art appreciation is for you, let these ten reasons encourage you to give it a try.
- Art can be beautiful. But it can also be not beautiful, if you’re more into that.
- Art makes you think. The most powerful works of art inspire deep and meaningful thoughts.
- Art lets you see things in a different way. Look at four paintings of a flower to discover four different ways of seeing a flower.
- Art creates emotions. Joy, fear, love, nostalgia, pride, and peace are just a few of the many things are can make you feel.
- Art conveys other people’s experiences. Walking in someone else’s shoes has nothing on looking at an artwork they created.
- Art lets your time travel. Look into an old picture or artifact and journey back to times long gone by.
- Art helps you escape. Art isn’t always happy, but it’s often a good diversion from problems, stress, and daily life.
- Art is subject to opinion. You might not agree with the textbooks, but your experience with artwork is your own and completely valid. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
- Art rewards you for paying attention, and it’s really not that hard. To uncover artwork’s secrets, look at it long and hard. Background information can help, but the most important thing to do is look. It’s that simple.
- Art has something for everyone. With so many different artists, styles, and subjects out there, there’s artwork to suit every person, mood, and situation.